Monday, May 11, 2009

Interesting Posts and Articles #144

  1. Hirshel Tzig posts posts a teshuva from the recent Meshaneh* Halachos,declaring many present day Chabad beliefs and practices. But read it inside, and see the comment section for reactions.

  2. Divrei Chaim on tradition of traditionalesque, things "positioned not as novelties but as expressions of enduring values."

  3. A theory that Van Gogh did not cut off his own ear.

  4. Related to swine flu, Rabbi Slifkin has a post about the dignity of pigs.

  5. I contemplate the purported eyewitness testimony of the Rochel Imeinu miracle story.

  6. Jameel at the Muqata posts a panoramic photo of Birchas Hachammah at the Kotel.

  7. You can check out another blog roundup, Haveil Havalim, here.

  8. Rabbi Lazer Brody discusses motherly meddling:
    Six months ago, I married off my youngest daughter. My mother's intuition tells me she's having problems with her husband. I've been suspicious of his loyalty to her, and I'm sick with worry. What should I do? Thank you for your attention.
    His response is not to meddle, and also that
    The Talmud teaches that if you suspect an innocent person, you receive a bodily affliction. I want you to stay healthy, so let the young couple work things out on their own. You can take my word that your son-in-law is a fine human being who'll make a good husband and father.
    I don't think that one can really know the metzius from a distance; and sometimes, e.g. in cases of abuse and disfunction, intiution that something is off is all one has. Rabbi Yehoshua ben Levi indeed says this, but even so, they note in gemara Yoma that despite this risk they made the Kohen Gadol swear that he would not divert and conduct the avodah in accordance with Tzeduki beliefs. Sometimes, when something really is important is at stake one takes such risks. I don't know enough about the situation to know, but I don't see how, from this short letter, he can know either. And effectively threatening a concerned mother with disease may not be the right tack, especially if it turns out that she was right.

    What do you think?

  9. From Dreaming of Moshiach:
    Tzaddik Nistar Message to American Jews
    July 28, 2008

    "Jews in the Diaspora should begin preparing returning to Eretz Israel - the latest possible date to return to Israel is Rosh Chodesh Sivan, 5769 (May 24, 2009). Those that will not return home by that date, will 'miss the boat'"

    Days left till Rosh Chodesh Sivan 5769


    In large part on the word of this Tzadik Nistar, Nava headed to Eretz Yisrael. She already had at least one "surprise" when moshiach did not arrive by Rosh HaShanah this year. I wonder what her reaction will be in about 13 days. Will she regret her aliyah? Or will she rationalize the sight of people making aliyah after that date, and no real evidence of the apocalypse? It is nice to have this much starker countdown, either to the end, or to realization, or to neither.

  10. In the Five Towns Jewish Times, in an article about Bnos Melachim, a tznius organization:
    Which Jewish heart doesn’t worry constantly about our three brethren suffering in a Japanese jail? Come hear what Yossi (Yosef ben Itte Rivka) begs of us Jewish daughters in his heartfelt plea to his sister, Toby Blau of Beit Shemesh.
    Thus, it would appear that they are continuing their tznius appeals, first discussed on parshablog here.

    Also, from the same article:
    We are well aware that nothing inspires like a personal story. Come hear the experiences of women whose lives have been transformed forever by an unpredictable tzenius incident. Gear up for an evening you cannot afford to miss!
    I am not certain what would constitute an inspirational "unpredictable tzenius incident." I can suggest two here, but you can provide your own (true or fictional) in the comment section, if you wish:

    A) I was walking down the street in my very long (and thus not tznius) sheitel, when all of a sudden, a gust of wind lifted up my sheitel, and me with it! Now I am stuck on this desert isle, waiting to get the attention of a passing ship.

    B) I was invited to a simcha with mixed seating, but I canceled at the last minute because of possible tzenius violations. Well, it turns out that the hall collapsed on everyone. I was saved because I did not attend a mixed affair. And neither should you!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

"unpredictable tzenius incident"
While pulling my sleeves over my elbow, my hand slipped and I inadvertantly elbowed a mugger behind me who would have stolen my Kangol aht.

Jeremy said...

Why is RC Sivan the last possible date to return to Israel? Are they closing the country?

If I already live here, and come into the states for a trip, will I be able to get back?

Yosef Greenberg said...

I appreciate the summaries you have here weekly (it seems). I like your insights but you sometimes get winded.

Maybe you can do a summary at the top of each post, and then read on if interested.

Thanks!,
Yosef AKA Cris L.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin