Thursday, October 26, 2006

parshat Bereishit: Let Us Make Man -- Video

What is the meaning of Naaseh Adam Betzalmeinu? I would say on a peshat level it is just a syntactic artefact of the plural form (though NOT meaning, as we can see from immediate context) of Elokim. Which is in turn plural, just like certain other nouns which connote mastery. That this carryover of plural form is inconsistestly applied shouldn't matter, except to the extent that it leaves the door open to midrashic interpretation of the divergent yet perfectly syntactically acceptable form. (I also mention the idea that it is a nifal adjective - Adam was created in our (=people, says Moshe Rabbenu) form.

Check out the video here. Running time: About 3 minutes.

2 comments:

Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

Interesting!
i like this videoblogging format, but you should try and look at the audience more ;-) .
I also like your practical use of the distinction between elohim and Elo-im.

What i find really intersting about נעשה אדם is that our monotheistic creation story has this anomalous plural that we spend all this mental energy trying to figure out... and in the polytheistic creation story of the Enuma Elish, Marduk says:

"My blood will I take and bone will I [fashion]
I will make man, that man may [...]
I will create man who shall inhabit the earth,
That the service of the gods may be established, and that their shrines may be built..."

Anonymous said...

Indeed, the looking at the audience is something I have to work on.

Part of the problem is that a lot of this is text based, so the temptation is always there to look down at the sefer in my lap. I think I'm getting better at it as time goes on.

A larger problem is that, as you mentioned earlier, not many will have the time or attention span (or for that matter, the earphones or speakers) to sit through videos. Text is better to quickly scan and skim.

But for the moment I'm trying to divide my posts and have some only text, some video, and some a mix, keep experimenting, and wait for the format to catch on.

Comparing to other creation accounts and the like is often fun, and perhaps profitable in some instances. Indeed, I'm likely to make mention of Gilgamesh in short order - there's an interesting snake and tree of life contrast.

Kol Tuv,
Josh

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin